The Louisville Bicycle Club presents:
2017 NEW RIDER / BIKE HANDLING CLASSES
These classes are offered to the public at no charge (FREE!).
Riders who complete all 5 classes of a New Rider Clinic will receive a free LBC jersey and a one-year membership in the Louisville Bicycle Club. ______________________________________________________________________________
To participate in these free classes, complete the following 2 steps:
Step 1: Click the link below to the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling/Traffic Skills 101 Course Release Form. Print it out, complete the form including your signature, and bring it with you to the first class of the session. [Also bring your bike and bike helmet to each class!!!]
Step 2: You MUST complete the following online registration. The first 3 clinics are limited to 50 registrants; the last two clinics are limited to 60 registrants.
Clinic 1: Mondays, 6 - 9 pm, April 24 thru May 22, Waterfront Park, Yellow Lot, Louisville, KY. Maximum number of participants: 50. To Register for Clinic 1: Click here
Clinic 2: Wednesday, 6 - 9 pm, May 24 thru June 21, Amphitheater Parking Lot, Iroquois Park, Louisville, KY. Maximum number of participants: 50. To Register for Clinic 2: Click here.
Clinic 3: Sundays, 2 - 5 pm, June 4 thru July 2, St. Stephan Baptist Church, 1018 S. 15th St., Louisville, KY.(Report to the Family Life Center) Maximum number of participants: 50. To Register for Clinic 3: Click here.
Clinic 4: Mondays, 6 - 9 pm, June 26 thru July 24, 4500 Bowling Blvd., Louisville, KY. 40207. Maximum number of participants: 60. To Register for Clinic 4: Click here.
Clinic 5: Mondays 6 - 9 pm, July 31 thru August 28, Baptist Healthcare Eastpoint, 2400 Eastpoint Parkway, Louisville, 40223. Maximum number of participants: 60. To Register for Clinic 5: Click here.
Each Clinic has 5 classes. Topics to be covered include:
||Bike basics - bike/helmet fit; traffic laws; ABC Quick Check. |
||Gearing/shifting; lane positioning; parking lot drills. |
||Five layers of safety; riding in groups; parking lot drills. |
||Tools & basic repairs; tire changing. |
||Nutrition/hydration/clothing; parking lot drills. |
Each class includes the following:
- One hour of instruction by seasoned riders followed by practice on your bike.
- An easy, 5 to 10 mile “practice” ride with traffic, signals, stop signs, lights, busy roads, park roads, and subdivision streets.
- Class participants are split into smaller groups of similar ability with instructors in the front and rear of each group. Individual instruction/assistance is provided if needed.
- Rest stops if and when needed – no one gets dropped or left behind.
- Follow-up discussion and evaluation after the rides.
- Certificates of Completion will be awarded to participants who attend all five classes AND complete the written and road tests.
- Take-home educational material provided to all participants.
PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND ALL CLASSES OF ONE CLINIC.
MAKING UP CLASSES IN ALTERNATE CLINICS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE.
THESE FREE CLASSES ARE SPONSORED BY BAPTIST HEALTH SPORTS MEDICINE IN SUPPORT OF THE MAYOR’S HEALTHY HOMETOWN MOVEMENT AND THE LEAGUE OF AMERICAN BICYCLISTS’ “BIKE FRIENDLY COMMUNITY” PROGRAM